POPular is a suite of programs for setting up large POP3 server systems. It consists of a POP3 proxy, a storage server and lots of utility programs. Note that this program is intended to be used in large email systems and is therefore quite complex to configure. If you only have a few thousand mailboxes, you are probably better of with a different POP3 server.
Popular does not support IMAP because it was developed before IMAP became as important as it is today. I just keep it here for historical reference. It is probably not really useful today and I haven't tried running it (or even compiling it) on modern systems.
- Scales to very large systems with millions of mailboxes
- Virtual server support
- Special optimization for access to empty mailboxes
- Graceful reaction to high load
- Get information on current sessions and statistics from running server
- Completely configurable at run-time
- Support for flexible authentication modules
- SSL/TLS support